Towards the tail-end of this week, I managed to get work wrapped up on the Helbrute. I tidied up some of the paintwork on the flesh and armour, and finished up the base. Also, a chance finally emerged to use a chunk of the Word Bearers rune transfers to finish off the armour plates.
I tried to keep the Helbrute consistent with the rest of the armoured parts of the Chaos Space Marines, building up the armour through drybrushing. Washes were used on large chunks of the model like the flesh and tusks, and I cleaned off some of the agrax earthshade from the tip downwards on the bigger tusks which gave this kind of rotten enamel look. I’d only ever done this once before, but it seemed to do the trick!
I grabbed a pot of druchii violet when I was up in Edinburgh last weekend, as I’ve seen a lot of videos where this wash is used for bruising up daemonic flesh. This was applied to some of the more painful-looking sections of the model, such as where the multi-melta is pushing through the flesh, the little jaws emerging from the side, and the heavily-mutated crotch. It looks damn sore.
It’s been a work in progress for a couple of years at least- I originally got the Helbrute as part of the Dark Vengeance box set but back then I didn’t really know with legion to go for and the models fell by the wayside. It’s been a lot of fun to paint though. I’m really looking forward to using the Helbrute in battle at one point too.
Well that’s it for this instalment, thanks for reading.